It’s the weekend. You get together with a few of your friends, let go of your inhibitions, and get ferociously drunk! It feels great in the moment, but the next day you’re sharply brought back to reality. You wake up with ‘sandpaper tongue’, vomit on your favourite shoes, and it feels like your brain is about to explode.
You’ve hit the wall and you need the cure!
So you make the one thing that can help ease the mother of all headaches. It’s often described as “righteous”, “divine”, “an elixir” - Some people even claim it has supernatural powers. You guessed it - It’s the Bacon Sarnie! (‘Bacon Sammich' for all the americans reading).
I’m going to show you how to make a more macro-friendly, lower-calorie hangover cure!
All of the foodies out there are going to be skeptical, but trust me - It’s just as tasty, has fewer carbs, less than half the fat, and 30% more protein! It’s also 150-200 calories less than your regular buttie!
Okay. Enough of the gibber gabber, let’s get on to the main event!
- Prep Time: How Long does it take to crack an egg?
- Cook Time: 5 minutes max!
Calories: 502 Protein: 56g Carb: 34g Fat: 16g Fibre: 4g
mine is the clear winner ;)
-Nutrition values for regular sandwich (incl. 2 tsp oil to fry egg and/or bacon)-
Calories: 708 Protein: 37g Carb: 41g Fat: 44g Fibre: 4g
- 2 Slices of Dr Zak’s protein bread (I buy mine from here: http://bit.ly/1QobfKc)
- 3 pieces of Sainsbury’s “be good to yourself” bacon medallions (you’ll find these in any big Sainsbury’s - alternatively you can use another low calorie bacon)
- 1 medium-sized egg (approx. 50g)
- 20g Heinz ‘reduced sugar and salt’ tomato ketchup
- 15g Hellman’s ‘lighter than light’ mayonnaise
- Preheat your grill for the bacon (I use a George Forman) and bring a pan of water to the boil before allowing it to simmer.
- Throw your bacon under the grill until it reaches the desired level of crispy-goodness and poach your egg in the simmering water for around 3-4 minutes (this will ensure the egg is cooked but still runny in the middle!)
- Toast 2 slices of Dr Zak’s protein bread.
- Use the mayo as a butter alternative, lay the bacon, balance the egg on top, and give it a squeeze of ketchup.
- Cut straight down the middle, ensuring you pop the beautiful yolk in the process.
- Chow down and get on the road to recovery!!
It may not be the healthiest meal in the world, but it’s a darned sight better than the alternative! So the next time you’re hungover, craving a bacon sandwich, and nothing else will do - give this beaut a go!